Upcoming Environmental Events
Water Conservation-Rebates & Information:
- City of La Verne sponsored turf removal, tree watering bag and Waste Management Bagster rebate program, please visit the water conservation section for information and application.
- www.bewaterwise.com- includes resources for gardening, watering calculator, rebates, contacts & classes
- Rebates on high efficiency washers and toilets, sprinkler nozzles, smart controllers and rain barrels-www.socalwatersmart.com or 1-888-376-3314
The City of La Verne is holding an informational workshop on state recycling laws affecting businesses and multi-family complexes. The meeting will be on 10/25/17 at La Verne City Hall, Council Chambers, 3660 D St, La Verne 91750 from 8:00am-9:00am.
The workshop will cover California’s mandatory recycling laws affecting businesses & multi-family complexes. Ways to be in compliance with the mandatory state recycling laws and what recyclables are accepted will also be discussed. Personalized, cost efficient waste disposal plans to fit businesses and multi-family complexes will be presented to ensure compliance.
Hazardous & Electronic Waste:
L.A. County residents are invited to bring HHW (unused pesticides, old batteries, used automotive fluids, unused cleaning products, expired pharmaceuticals, etc.) and E-Waste (computers, old televisions, broken cell phones, etc.).
- Covina Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Collection on 11/4/2017 from 9am-3pm at Covina City Yard, 534 N. Barranca Ave, Covina 91723
- La Verne Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Collection on 12/16/2017 from 9am-3pm at Brackett Airport, near intersection of Fairplex Drive and McKinley Ave, La Verne 91750.
Visit www.888cleanla.com for a list of accepted products and HHW & E-Waste events.
Oil Recycling & Oil Filter Exchange:
La Verne residents can bring used motor oil to any certified collection center on the CalRecycle website at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch
Waste Reduction, Composting & Gardening:
FREE coffee grounds offered at Starbucks, 2145 Foothill Blvd. La Verne, CA 91750
Go to the LA County Smart Gardening Website at https://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/sg/ for classes, tips, and workshops that will help you conserve water, improve water quality, and help the environment outdoors. Those who attend workshops can get discounted composting and worm composting bins and information on other opportunities. The following are upcoming workshops in the region:
Penalty Surcharge Appeal Process
By completing the Penalty Surcharge Appeal Application available HERE - Penalty Surcharge Appeal Application (07-2015), customers may appeal the conservation surcharge on the basis of hardship or billing error within 10 days after receiving disputed bill.
- To avoid late penalties or interruptions of service, the full amount of disputed water bills must be paid on time.
- Appeals will be reviewed within fifteen business days.
- The appeal officer will review all factors including:
- Water use caused by emergency health and safety hazards;
- Water use related to family health;
- Whether additional people have been added to the household/business;
- Water use required for the health of mature fruit trees;
- Water use required for fire protection and slope stability;
- If customers are currently using maximum water conservation.
- If unsatisfied with the appeal officer’s decision, a second appeal may be filed in the same manner with the city manager or designee whose decision will be final. Secondary appeals must be accompanied with a fifty dollar ($50) filing fee for residential customer accounts and a one hundred dollar ($100) filing fee for all other customer accounts.
- No appeal will be granted unless the customer can show a maximum reduction in water consumption.
- No appeal will be granted for maintaining turf and similar landscape.
- The appeal officer may request information to help with his/her decision however; applicant is required to include any information or evidence that may assist appeal officer’s decision.
If you should have any questions or require additional assistance, please contact our customer service staff at (909) 596-8744, Monday-Thursday from 8 AM until 6 PM.
CITY SPONSORED REBATES
The City of La Verne is no longer accepting applications for turf removal rebates or hosting rain barrel giveaways. Please see details regarding the turf removal program sponsored by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California below.
METROPOLITAN WATER DISTRICT OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA REBATES
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is proud to announce the Residential Landscape Transformation Program. Please see bewaterwise.com for more details on eligibility and program requirements.
Water Conservation Resources
Water Saving Resources for the Home
Resources for Teachers and Students
Water Related Government Agencies
- California Department of Water Resources
- State Water Resources Control Board
- United States Bureau of Reclamation
Local Water Agencies
- American Water Works Association
- California Urban Water Conservation Council
- Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
Environmental Related Websites:
Environmentally Friendly Living
Environmental Government Agencies