Did you know that one of your most favorite activities could potentially have adverse effects on the environment? Shopping is an activity that can potentially have a tremendous impact on the amount of trash that is sent to landfills. Taking into consideration the amount of trash being sent to landfills on a daily basis, buying recycled content products is a smart decision.
Buying recycled content products help to divert materials from our landfills and protects the environment. When you go shopping remember to keep in mind the effects of your purchase on the environment. Items with excess packaging and products with a short life span uses up valuable resources and create more waste. Keep these considerations in mind the next time you're at the grocery store:
Avoid excessive packaging
- Buy products in the largest size that you and your family can use
- Buy juices in concentrate form and use reusable containers instead of single serving packages.
- Save money by buying bottled water in a large plastic jug instead of six packs of 16 ounce bottles.
- Bring your own bags to the market, either cloth ones or your old paper and plastic ones.
Buy reusable and long lasting items
- Use rechargeable batteries in toys, flashlights and radios
- Instead of using paper towels and napkins, switch to cloth napkins, sponges, and cloth towels or wipes
- Use washable plates, cups and silverware for parties and picnics instead of disposable products.
- Usa an electric razor or hand razor with replaceable blades instead of disposable razors.
- Use a washable commuter mug for your morning coffee and eliminate a Styrofoam cup per day.
SHOPPING SMART LINKS
CIWMB's Recycle Store